For those who have never done a 600km ride or a long ride here are a few tips.
- Charge your Di2 – believe it or not some very experienced riders have only made it as far as JB Shell on a 600km ride due to dead Di2 battery!
- Keep your passport dry! – believe it or not one very experienced cyclist was all geared up for a 600km ride and her passport was too sweaty and wet and the Malaysian customs officers refused her entry. She spent the entire weekend blow drying her passport.
- Clean your bike- you will be spending close to 40 hours on it so having a nice clean bike with fresh lube makes things a lot more pleasant. Plus, if you puncture and you want someone to fix the puncture it is nice if they have a clean machine to work on.
- Check your tires. The roads in Malaysia are mostly amazing however there are sections that are bumpy…have good tires and it is usually recommended to bring one tire in your spare bag.
- Ride within your pace! There are some fast guys already signed up and while it may sound appealing to get home fast by sitting on their wheel it is not fun bonking in the middle of nowhere and pedaling 20km / hour for long periods of time.